Sunday, February 22, 2009

Marchin' on w/ Anyday Parade.


Friday Night I got out to O'Hara's in Downtown Jersey City, where Anyday Parade was due to play. No wait, slow down for a second, I guess I should start by saying I was planning on making this trip the whole day. After corresponding with one of the singer/guitarists of the band via text message I found that they where due to play two sets, one at 10:00 and one at 11:30. No stranger to procrastination and ill fortune, I awoke from a mid day nap gone wrong to find it was 9:40pm!!!!! Upon making this unfortunate revelation I dived from my poorly constructed Ikea deathtrap...er bed(which fell apart under my sinisterly deceptive weight) and entered the shower. I'll save you the gory details but suffice it to say I emerged from my watery tomb reborn and with about 12 minutes to get out into the blistering cold and sprint 10 blocks to the bar/venue. Shirt, jeans, boots, socks, track-jacket and boxers donned, I grabbed my equipment, trusty leather jacket, and scrammed out into the unforgiving Hudson wind. 7 mins left! I was going to make it with time to set up and catch the first song. ROCK AND ROLL!

It was at this time that I got the sneaking sense that I had left my memory card in it's reader back at home. Quickly I rummaged through my bag in the cold, only to come to the startling realization that not just my memory card was at home but my battery was dead!

There comes a point, dear reader, when a man's character is truly tested, when his will to do right fights his will to half ass it. Really it wasn't as epic as I make it sound but I turned back around to my home got a back up battery and my memory card. I ran back to O'Hara's. Only to find that they were starting late at 10:30pm and all this inner turmoil and self loathing was for naught! I so set up with plenty of time to grab a beer and persuade Jersey City's infamous DJ Alfonse to handle my video cam for the ensuing interview in between sets.

Having gotten that out of the way....Anyday Parade is a country rock band from Jersey City. They are a five piece rock option, With members spanning the states from Kentucky and Kansas to back east in Chill Town! The thing that really stands out about this band in a sea of traditional set up "Rock Band"...um bands is they have three vocalists. Much of that weight falls on the shoulders of the group's female lead Tree, but Larry and J.D. are right there to lend a hand just in case things get rockin'. And things definitely get rockin'! The Chucks ,Daly and Richards, on bass and drums (respectively) hold the down the deep end without getting too heavy to tread water.

Tree has this sort of Dolly Parton charm as she announces to the crowd for their fourth or fifth song of the night, "This next song's a cover of a song by a band called Anyday Parade!" She must have forewarned the crowd of several of the original "cover songs" the band had written. I got a total kick out of the joke. It seems that this was a kind of inside joke of the bands. It worked! The crowd was certainly into it. Without further ado here's a song and an interview to go with the shots I took of the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Indie Blog Directory