Monday, April 20, 2009

Prosperity Preserved, Verronica Defended! Empire Saved!.....for now.

Popular folklore would have you believe that there exists in the underworld ruthless men who fear nothing, perhaps this post will help you make up your mind! If you were in Jersey City, April 18th 2009, perhaps you were privy to meeting some of those men, members of the most epic rock band I've see in this town, well ever! I'm talking about LAST DAYS OF EMPIRE. I stumbled into IMAC a bit late that night hoping for something amazing, something unprecedented. The second band had just finished up. I hit the bar with a vengence, and watched as LDOE set up.

I had a fire in my head from the night before, a hangover the likes of which would have made Prometheus feel bad for me. Never being the most devout man, religiously speaking, I decided a little meditation might do the trick. Meditation in the form of live music, beer and some picture taking. LDOE got off the ground about 15 mins later. I'm not sure they ever came down, in fact there were reports later of a six piece Epic rock band hovering over the Hudson later that night!


Seriously though, Last Days of Empire is Cory(guitar), Brian(guitar) Jason(Keys) Michael(guitar/vox) Rob B.(bass)and Rob(drums). I'm not up totally on the story here but apparently this is a concept rock band. They are the soundtrack to a movie that hasn't been written, a story partially told! It's like the ingeniousness of the 8bit Metroid soundtrack with lyrics! It's cosmic, its conspiratorial, it's prolific as all get out! Michael's vocals are the harbinger of darker days calling, pleaing for revolution! Jason sets a really dystophian mood, like all the things Lovecraft warned you about gone horribly wrong! He is the band's Erich Zann.
Rob serves up the rhythm for the march of the resistance, and the rolling of the tanks they assault. Rob B.'s pounding bass threatens to break rank as Brian's leads dogfight with Cory's rhythms Red Baron style. Watching the band in motion is almost as entertaining as hearing them!

You know that feeling I told you about? The one I got at my first show, the one I feel a little bit every time I see a live band. Its hard to explain it, like the sadness from watching the end of E.T. mixed with the optimism from the Last Starfighter, and a pinch of the the HELL YES! from the fight scene in Three O'Clock High. It was like my heart was breaking right there with the band. No it wasn't like that, IT WAS THAT! I haven't felt like that since I saw CK5 back in February. Not to detract from the other bands I've seen of the last few months. I'm a hard nut to crack. After the show I couldn't help but pick up a t-shirt and their latest EP: Black Armband Holiday. I'm very excited about these guys and I think you can tell from the pictures!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Indie Blog Directory