Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Jen's Birthday Bash @ Kilkenny Alehouse .... I WON A DANCE CONTEST!


"It's the craziest phenomenon", he said to me, "The first time I played it live every guy in the room turned around and started howling along with me! Something about the song reaches a primal part of guys." Of course, we were talking after his set, and I was asking Deivito about the Werewolf song. Which is down at the bottom of the blog with a few other videos. I gotta admit, I was right there howling along with the rest of the guys! Rewind about two days prior: I saw he had posted a bulletin for a show in Newark at Kilkenny Ale house on Saturday the 21st. Plans were formulated to remove me from my job early that night, so I'd be able to make his set.

"Just wait til you hear the Frozen Gentlemen" He wrote back after I told him I'd be there. From Thursday morning fast forward to Saturday Night 8pm. The Vernal Equinox! All the world was in balance and I was running from my bar to my home. Looked like it was gonna be a rock-a-billy scene and as I hadn't done laundry in a week I had one choice, the white western shirt! How was this shirt even still clean? I always wear this the day after I do wash. A sign from the rock gods, no doubt! I scarfed down half a pizza and darted for the train. I hadn't slept much, (you'd know that if you read my last post) but I was looking forward to seeing another show with a fervor that blasted me into clarity and consciousness. Who needs rest when thanks to modern science sleep is now optional? So, I made it to Newark without any trouble on the train, which is kind of odd for me. Like I said though, vernal equinox everything's going right! Time Check: 9:15pm Dammit I might miss his set. Hop the cab and three mins later I'm at the Kilkenny Ale House. I head up stairs and there's Deivito. I wasn't even late for the set! It was gonna start a little late! Perfect!


I was promptly introduced to Jen, who does the bookings for the bands at the KAH. It was her birthday tonight, so it was expected to be a really fun night. Everyone was dressed to the nines. I was really jonesin' for a beer, so I headed to the back and snagged one as the Mcmickle Bros. walked in! Awesome this was going to be an all-star cast sort of shindig!


So, the second floor of the Kilkenny Alehouse is set up like a VFW dance hall. It reminded me of my days of being a boy scout in troop 9 back in South Jersey. Wonder if I can remember any of that stuff still? A scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Honest, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent. Wow that was crazy I think I got it spot on! I'm at least ten of those still. That's not too shabby, if I do say so myself. Sorry...... So the KAH has a lot of room, This leads me to believe that there's a good chance that dancing will happen.

Deivito takes the stage tunes up and starts with a few traditional songs. As he comes to a simmer, (I should say his guitar comes to a simmer. You'd expect steam to be rolling off his fingers the way they spider up and down the neck.) the crowd warms up as well. There's still a bit of a distance from the stage and the crowd. He invites them to move in closer. The crowd complies, cordially. So he prefaces the next song by saying, "This is called the Werewolf song. It's a song that turns into a werewolf about halfway through. You probably know this song if you're a werewolf." I mean you kind of can't help but listen even if you're not a werewolf. And you must listen if you're not sure whether or not you are one! Curiosity got the better of me and it turns out that I am indeed a lycanthrope! At the end of the set a little bit of dancing happened but I could tell the crowd was just warming up.


If you've met me then you know I'm a skeptic, but I value the concept of my peers. So, I always get a little scared when a friend, especially one with a decent taste in music, tells me about a new band. I'm overly neurotic, so I worry about things like the "Too Much Coffee-man syndrome": Basically if someone tells me that something is good I'm apt to not believe them, because I'd rather be surprised and love it than surprised and disappointed. It's a classic defense mechanism. Yea Well WELCOME TO MY CRAZY BACKWARDS LITTLE MIND. It's cold and dark in here isn't it?

As it is, I'm still full of energy and ready to rock out as the Frozen Gentlemen addressed the crowd. Frozen Gentlemen are Mido Santantos - (vox/keys) Quan James (vox/guitar) Jackie Meyer (vox/bass) Hollywood Charter (drums). Keyboard isn't something you see everyday in a band! I'm anxious to see how this is gonna play out! They start up with a panic! If I had to explain this band, I'd tell you to listen to non hits the Bee Gees wrote (cause they were the better songs) and combine that with the Mega Man II OST (cause that was the best Mega Man game), They were OUTTSANE! Something so unconventional and so danceable......so we danced!

Deivito started it off. And soon it was 1976 and American Bandstand was having the Frozen Gentlemen on as special guests! I love to get out onto the dance floor/moshpit/skanking circle what have you. For some reason I can just never start it off. But once it gets going it's really hard to stop. And songs I would think when not dancing "How do I even dance to this?" Becomes "How could I NOT dance to this?" Maybe it was the girls maybe it was the camaraderie of the guys, I'm sure the five or six beers helped..... But the FGs really got the party kicking. And then it was over just as I was getting loose!

No need to worry as the Coppertones were next on the roster. I've been rocking shows since I was nineteen and I've come to expect a few things in my day. One of those things is that if a band has the word "tones" in their name they are most likely on the level! It turns out that again I was blown away! These cats were so boss you can find them chillin out at the end of world 8-4! Classic surf rock, I would have thought I was in a beach boys movie, hangin out with Presley and Brando! "All the twisters please come out to the dance floor." Came the call of Scott Fairgrieve (Vocals and Rhythm Guitar). Pete Quilla (lead Guitar) moved around Paul Ulinsky. Bass in way way that a surf board moves around a wave. Andrew Scala (drums) got my feet stomping and kickin'. I'd have recorded my favorite song (Jack the Ripper) but I was way too busy shakin' it down Chubby Checker style! In fact I was soo busy rockin out I didn't even realize I'd been entered into a dance competition. Which I won! I even have a tee-shirt to prove it. The night just keeps getting better!


At some point during the night we stalled out for cake, sang Happy Birthday to Jen. And the McMickle Bros. set up. I don't have to tell you how great they were. Jen, Deivito, Carly, Lu, myself and several other hangers-on danced the night away right up until last call. Lu gave me a ride to the train, just as it pulled in, what great timing! Like I said before the planets and stars were aligned. Things just seem to always find a way of working out for the Rocker Tycoon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Indie Blog Directory