Thursday, May 7, 2009

Important Notes....


Early last week I was approached, via email, by Jon Whiten of Jersey City Independent. We hit it off it seems and now I'm going to be splitting up my time between here and there. You can still expect the same kind of coverage I give here once or twice a week, and you can find me posting there too! I'll be covering shows, EP and LP reviews and Band Bios. It's a step in the right direction and I'm really excited that I'm getting this kind of recognition! Having said that, there are a few people who are responsible either directly or indirectly that I'd like to thank for the their support.


The Wayward Winos

When Paul and Melanie decided to travel South America, I have to admit I was a little jealous. When they told me they'd be blogging while they were down there I decided I'd do the same for my exploits in Jersey City. They had a cool slick name, I figured I might as well give myself a moniker as well. The Rocker Tycoon was born! It's been a constant competition between us to have better stories and coolest pictures, and although they still have me beat in both categories, my constant proximity to internet access gives me the edge in consistency. We've all three been pushing each other to the limit and without them I probably would have given up after a month of this.

@DrewMerc
Andrew Mercurio: Local Jersey City Citizen and man about town. The two of us are constantly chatting it up via Twitter. We started getting together a local clutch of twitter followers. He keeps it fun and simple, let's you know what he's upto without telling you about the bathroom stops.

The bands
If I list you all I'm at risk of missing a few of you. Suffice it to say without you this would be impossible. You've all been infinitely gracious, and pretty damned awesome. For the bands I knew about and hunted down as a fan: Thanks for giving a nod to an average guy. For the bands that I found out about while doing this: I had no idea that when I started doing this some of you would be in the top ten of songs played on my Ipod!

The Venues and Promoters
Of course a little free press never hurt anyone, but most of you are tripping over yourselves to make me feel comfortable. Jen, James, Steve, Eric, Mike, Mark and the many bartenders along the way.

Kate Connolly
My partner in crime and longtime photobuddy. Years ago we were both just waiter/waitresses at a restaurant in New Brunswick talking about the day when we could make a living taking pictures. We always stressed that talking about it wasn't good enough. Deeds not words, or in this case photos. Years later we both went on to work for ourselves as photographers, using each other's advice and equipment. Today she's living out in California, but if my luck holds she's due back out in NJ for good real soon.

Fellow Locals
It's you cats that really I owe the biggest thanks to. Just knowing that you dig the scene and that you want the music in town to flourish, is good enough. Sometimes I'm at a show and someone I didn't even know will come up and just tell me they dig what I'm doing! That's pretty damned rad that people I've never met are reading my stuff. Also to see whats up in town Dancin' Tony is the guy to know. He responsible for most of my local image no doubt.

Also in other news I'm publishing a photobook soon. So I'll keep you updated on that! I'll be posting a bunch more soon but I wanted to go ahead get that out. Again Thank you all for your support, Bands keep me updated via Rockertycoon@gmail.com and If you have music you want me to checkout, get in touch, I'd be happy to oblige!

Also Youtube has my videos from shows at:
Zac's Youtube

And my photos are generally up on Flickr within a few days:
Zac's Flickr

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, but I'm not sure about the stories. Rock & Roll may always take the cake. Still trying to find a nice scene to guest write for the Rocker Tycoon from South America! ...Maybe here in Buenos Aires.

    Good stuff and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the blog love!! Your stuff is awesome as always and we'll keep hunting for new talent down here...perhaps you Rocker Tycoon takes on Buenos Aires?! We hear there is an amazing indie scene here!! Besos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocking the Transmet! Good stuff, dude.

    ReplyDelete

 
Indie Blog Directory